Saturday, June 30, 2007

Some Haiku For the Muse Day

I've chosen Japanese haiku for my very first entry on Garden Blogger's Muse Day. The brief and fleeting impressions that the great poets have written have always been favorites of mine.

The symbols I'm decorating this page with are traditional Japanese calligraphy called Shodo. They have been used in Japan for 1,300 years. I think they add to the feelings of the poems.

Moonlight slanting
Through all this
Long bamboo grove . . .
And nightingale song.
Basho

"Wa" - Harmony - Peace
***************************
On that inch of land
Beans grew to
Our very door . . .
Yet grand in moonlight!
Issa

"Yume" - Dream
************************
Two water-lilies
Shining serenely
Golden . . .
Raindrop-dimpled pool.
Buson
"Sei, Shizuka" - Tranquility

4 comments:

Rosemarie said...

I came upon your blog from Carolyn's at Sweet Home & Garden Chicago. I've always loved haikus and the japanese caligraphy.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Thank you, Alyssa, for the beautiful contribution of Haiku. Your illustrations were also a nice touch.

kate said...

This is a really beautiful post, Alyssa! The haiku along with the calligraphy were perfect.

Alyssa said...

Rosemarie - I'm glad you enjoyed the haikus and prints.

Carolyn - You're welcome. I had fun finding and reading up on the calligraphy.

Kate - Thank you for stopping by. I don't think you can go wrong with haiku!